The animal was born before the 1997 imposition of a ban on inclusion of animal protein in feed for ruminants. BSE is transmitted when cattle eat feed containing protein from a BSE-infected animal. The disease’s human counterpart, variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) can occur when a person eats meat from a BSE-infected animal. The carcass of the cow just cleared of BSE did not enter the food or animal feed system. See also: Initial tests Jul 27 on the 12-year-old cow, which had died during calving in April at an undisclosed location, had shown some abnormal staining that classified the results as nondefinitive and spurred the further testing. Samples from the cow had been preserved by a veterarian at the time of death but mistakenly were not sent to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) for testing until recently. “Needless to say, we are very pleased with these results. I do want to emphasize that the most important protections for human and animal health are our interlocking food-safety protocols. Our enhanced surveillance program is designed to provide information about the level of prevalence of BSE in the United States, which by any measure is extremely low.” Aug 4, 2005 (CIDRAP News) What looked like the possible third case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in the United States has now been confirmed as a false alarm, leaving the number of domestic cattle infected with the disease at two, with one of those being Canadian-born. John Clifford, deputy adminstrator of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) announced yesterday that definitive testing of samples from the animal, performed at the Ames, Iowa, National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) and the Veterinary Laboratories Agency in Weybridge, England, showed it did not have BSE. Aug 3 APHIS press releasehttp://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/news/2005/08/negative_tt.html A statement from Clifford says, “The initial non-definitive result was caused by artifactual (artificial or untrue) staining and, while this staining did not resemble BSE, we felt the prudent course was to conduct the additional tests. Jul 28 CIDRAP News story on the earlier testinghttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/other/bse/news/july2805bse.html
“The risk factor has been greatly reduced,” he said, adding that there had been no sign of wider community spread of the virus, with most cases discovered through monitoring of high-risk communities.The announcement comes after Beijing lifted several localized lockdowns imposed after hundreds of new cases linked to a sprawling wholesale market were discovered in June, prompting fears of a virus resurgence.The capital tested more than 10 million people between June 11 and July 3, nearly half the city’s population, Beijing official Zhang Qiang said Friday.But nucleic acid tests have not been entirely foolproof, with multiple confirmed cases in the city returning negative days before testing positive in recent weeks.On Thursday, a woman was taken to hospital from a mall in Beijing’s Shijingshan district and 204 contacts put under quarantine after the woman’s fourth virus test in three weeks came back positive — despite her testing negative the previous day, city officials said Friday.China had largely brought the deadly outbreak under control before the new Beijing cluster was detected last month.The government has since also imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people in neighboring Hebei province to contain a fresh cluster there, adopting the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the epicenter of Wuhan city earlier this year.Topics : Beijing has contained transmission of a new coronavirus outbreak and will lift travel restrictions on most residents at midnight, city authorities said Friday, weeks after a new wave of infections broke out in the Chinese capital.All people living in areas of the city considered “low risk” may leave Beijing without a negative virus test result starting Saturday, the municipal public security bureau’s spokesman said at a press conference.The city’s massive track and trace campaign has “effectively cut off virus transmission channels” with fewer than three cases discovered each day in recent days, spokesman Pan Xuhong said.
US Secret Service agents shot and wounded a man who was apparently armed outside the White House on Monday, President Donald Trump said just after being briefly evacuated in the middle of a press conference.As the president was speaking to reporters in the White House briefing room, a Secret Service bodyguard abruptly approached him and interrupted, saying in a quiet voice, “Sir, could you please come with me?”Trump and staff members left. Doors to the briefing room, still filled with journalists, were locked. Rattled? Trump, a Republican who faces a tough and bitterly divisive election on November 3, said he knew nothing about the identity or motives of the person shot. “It might not have had anything to do with me,” he said.There was no immediate precise information on what sort of threat the person allegedly posed.But when asked if the person had been armed, Trump answered: “From what I understand, the answer is yes.”Trump said the incident took place “on the outside” of the White House perimeter, which is currently being reinforced by a new iron fence twice the height of the previous version.”I don’t believe anything was breached, they were relatively far away,” he added.The Secret Service said that “at no time during this incident was the White House complex breached or were any protectees in danger.”Returning to the podium after the disruption, Trump appeared calm.He resumed his virulent criticism of opposition Democrats and praise for his handling of the coronavirus crisis, which polls show two-thirds of Americans believe he has botched.Questioned whether the security incident had rattled him, Trump answered: “I don’t know, do I seem rattled?””It’s unfortunate that this is the world, but the world’s always been a dangerous place,” he said. ‘Screaming’ Philipos Melaku, one of a small group of veteran protesters who camp out near the White House, said he had heard a shot.”I heard a gunshot and before that I heard screaming,” he told AFP.”It was a male voice,” he said.”After that immediately, pointing their AR-15s, at least eight or nine men came in running.”Trump went on to praise the US Secret Service, which is in charge of guarding the president, as “fantastic people, the best of the best.””I feel very safe with Secret Service,” he said. “A lot of terrific looking people ready to go if something was necessary.” Topics : Outside, black-clad Secret Service agents with automatic rifles could be seen rushing across the lawn and took up positions behind trees. According to Fox News, whose camera team was outside, two shots were heard.Minutes later, Trump reappeared at the press conference and announced that someone had been shot by the Secret Service outside the White House grounds.”Law enforcement shot someone, it seems to be the suspect. And the suspect is on the way to the hospital,” he said.The Secret Service later tweeted that “a male subject” had been taken to hospital, along with an agent after “an officer involved shooting” at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue — one block from the White House.
Joachim Andersen is on Unai Emery’s summer wishlist (Picture: Getty)Sampdoria have set a £49m price tag on Joachim Andersen and Dennis Praet after rejecting a £43m bid from Arsenal for the pair last week, according to reports in Italy.Unai Emery is looking to bolster his squad following a disappointing end to the season and has identified centre-back Andersen and playmaker Praet as two of his top transfer targets.However, Arsenal’s offer for the pair fell slightly short of Sampdoria’s valuation of the players as the Serie A side are demanding €30m for Andersen and €25m for Praet.AC Milan have also been strongly linked with a move for Andersen and Praet as they appear set to appoint Sampdoria’s manager Marco Giampaolo as Gennaro Gattuso’s replacement.ADVERTISEMENT Comment Sampdoria demanding £49m for Arsenal transfer targets Joachim Andersen and Dennis Praet Advertisement Dennis Praet was linked with a move to Arsenal during Arsene Wenger’s time in charge (Picture: Getty)Andersen impressed with his ball-playing abilities from defence last season, completing the second-highest number of long balls of any outfield player in Serie A.AdvertisementAdvertisementPraet, who had a trial at Arsenal during his time at Anderlecht nearly a decade ago, scored two goals and registered three assists in Serie A last season.Read more: How Sampdoria pair Joachim Andersen and Dennis Praet can solve two of Unai Emery’s biggest issues at ArsenalSampdoria’s asking price for Andersen and Praet isn’t too much higher than Arsenal have already offered, however, Emery is working with a reduced budget of around £45m this summer.Arsenal’s failure to qualify for next season’s Champions League means that he will have to offload players in order to raise additional funds with Mesut Ozil, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Shkodran Mustafi reportedly all available.One player that looks likely to stay at the Emirates, though, is Granit Xhaka with the Swiss international committing his future to the club amid speculation linking him to Inter Milan.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Metro Sport ReporterMonday 10 Jun 2019 4:26 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link407Shares Advertisement
Coral BarryTuesday 29 Oct 2019 2:19 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link906Shares Emery refused to confirm whether Xhaka had been fined for his dissent (Picture: Reuters)Xhaka reportedly refused to apologise publicly for his actions despite a request from the club and Emery would not confirm whether he had been fined for his actions.Arsenal’s squad are thought to be backing their under-fire captain and Emery is still weighing up whether to axe Xhaka as captain.There are reports punishing Xhaka would spark a player revolt in the squad.MORE: Swiss FA issue statement after Granit Xhaka tells Arsenal fans to ‘f*** off’MORE: Granit Xhaka’s wife goes ‘private’ on Instagram after receiving abuse from Arsenal fans Xhaka stormed off the pitch and told the Arsenal fans to ‘f*** off’ (Picture: Reuters)Unai Emery has refused to confirm whether Granit Xhaka will continue as Arsenal captain.A furious Xhaka told the Arsenal fans to ‘F*** off’ when they began booing him as he was substituted during a 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace on Sunday.Supporters have called for Xhaka to be stripped as captain, but Emery insists the midfielder knows he was wrong to hit out at the fans.‘He trained normally with the group but he is devastated. He is sad about that situation,’ he said in a press conference ahead of Arsenal’s cup clash with Liverpool tomorrow.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement Advertisement Unai Emery reveals Granit Xhaka is ‘devastated’ after clashing with Arsenal fans Xhaka could be stripped of the captaincy (Picture: Getty)‘His commitment is great every time. He wants to help.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘His behaviour was perfect in training, with the group and club. Really he knows he was wrong.‘He feels inside, very deep. It’s normal as a human. Every player needs the supporters’ support.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityEmery did not want to be drawn into a discussion about Xhaka ahead of the Liverpool game, but confirmed the 27-year-old would not be involved for the match against the Reds.The Arsenal boss insisted that decision was made before the incident at the Emirates and was strictly down to his desire to rotate his squad for the Carabao Cup game. Comment
ML (UK) Dredging team has just announced the successful completion of the Newhaven Harbor dredging project.The company reported that during the works a total of 5,500m³ of material was removed, allowing a new pontoon structure to be installed to assist the pilot boats and other commercial vessels.“Our crews battled rough seas in order to complete the project as quickly as possible to minimize disturbance within the harbor,” ML Dredging said in the release.The project was carried out by the ML Dredging’s backhoe dredger Witton II, accompanied by the split hopper barges Split Three and Split Two.The company also added that upon completing the initial dredging works they were subsequently awarded 3 other zones in which to carry out dredging works by the Harbor Master.Following the completion of the works, ML Dredging will now mobilize the equipment from Newhaven to Portsmouth to carry out crucial dredging works for INEOS British Racing Team.
Pele, widely considered to be one of the greatest footballers in history and who will be 80 in October, has had hip trouble for years and now needs a frame to walk. Many of his recent public appearances have been in a wheelchair. “He’s pretty fragile. He had a hip replacement and didn’t have an adequate or ideal rehabilitation,” Edinho told TV Globo. “So he has this problem with mobility and that has set off a kind of depression. Imagine, he’s the King, he was always such an imposing figure and today he can’t walk properly.Advertisement Brazilian soccer great Pele is depressed over his poor health and reluctant to leave the house because he cannot walk unaided, his son Edinho said in an interview published in Brazil on Monday. Loading… “He’s embarrassed, he doesn’t want to go out, be seen, or do practically anything that involves leaving the house,” his son added. “He is very sheepish, reclusive.” Edinho said he had argued with his father because he had not done the physiotherapy called for after a hip operation. Pele, the only player to win three World Cups, spent most of his career with Brazilian team Santos before moving to New York Cosmos in the 1970s. read also: Pele to have urinary tract surgery in Brazil This summer will mark the 50th anniversary of the striker’s third World Cup title, won in Mexico in 1970 with what many people believe is the greatest team of all time. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
“Throughout my career I have played on the left, on the right and just behind the striker,” Mata said. “I don’t mind playing anywhere the manager tells me.” It is easy to understand why Mata is content to be shifted around the United team. After spending most of the first half of the season on the bench at Chelsea, Mata is just happy to be on the pitch. And having found a place to live in Manchester, Mata finally seems to have finally found contentment in the north west after a difficult six-month period which has put the player’s chances of playing in the World Cup in jeopardy. “I am happy at the club, very happy,” Mata said. “I am enjoying my football, I am getting minutes on the pitch, I am in a very, very big club and I hope we finish the season well. “David De Gea has helped me settle, the same with Chicharito (Javier Hernandez), (Antonio) Valencia, and Rafael, they all speak Spanish but everyone there has helped me. “People like (Ryan) Giggs have been here for many years and there’s (Wayne) Rooney and (Robin) van Persie, they have all treated me phenomenally well.” So while Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City, Everton and Liverpool take part in the FA Cup, United have decided to embark on a short break to Dubai. When they return, Mata hopes United will be ready to push for that Champions League place which currently seems to be slipping through their fingers. “We are going to rest a bit, train as a group and prepare ourselves for the rest of the season,” Mata said. “Once we come back from this mini break hopefully we will win many matches.” Mata has only been on the winning side once since his £37.1million transfer from Chelsea. Moyes started by playing Mata in the number 10 position against Cardiff, but the Spaniard began the clash at the Emirates on the left flank. Moyes has a wealth of options when it comes to attacking midfielders so it will take a while before the Scot works out the best way to integrate the former Valencia man into his starting line-up. Mata insists he is happy to play wherever his manager chooses, though. United slipped 11 points behind fourth-placed Liverpool on Wednesday after an underwhelming goalless draw at Arsenal. One advantage United have over their rivals is that they have nine days until their next match, which is away at Crystal Palace. Press Association Juan Mata hopes Manchester United’s warm-weather training camp in Dubai will kick start the reigning champions’ faltering season.
A 25-year-old man has been arrested after authorities say he constructed a pipe bomb that then started a fire in his neighbor’s yard.The incident occurred Saturday at a home in Orange City.Authorities say the suspect, Christopher Green, put together a pipe bomb in his backyard then lit it and that’s when the device, “flew” into his neighbor’s backyard and set some of her land on fire.The neighbor who was doing yard work at the time, told authorities that she heard a loud hissing sound and then noticed a metal pipe with caps on each end landed in her yard.No one was hurt during the incident, however, authorities did evacuate the neighborhood as a precaution while the investigation took place.Green told authorities that he mixed stump remover with sugar to make smoke bombs. Authorities also found that he posted a video of himself making a pipe bomb the evening before the incident occurred.Green was arrested but has since been released after posting his $10,000 bail.
Fox Entertainment confirmed Tuesday that Jussie Smollett will not return to the television series ‘Empire’ in the wake of allegations by Chicago officials the actor lied about a racially motivated attack.In a statement, the studio said, “there are no plans for Smollett’s character of Jamal to return to ‘Empire’ but did not list a reason.Fox announced earlier Tuesday that the show had been renewed for a sixth season.The move comes less than a week after Smollett’s former castmates called for his return in a letter written to executives of the hit show.Chicago police allege Smollett paid two brothers to help him stage an attack in January in which he said two masked men beat him, hurled racist and homophobic slurs at him, doused him with a chemical substance and put a rope around his neck.Smollett, who is black and gay, maintains his innocence.He was arrested on 16 felonies of disorderly conduct, but prosecutors later dropped the charges.”‘Empire’ films each episode in Chicago, Illinois.