View comments Juventus’ Mario Mandzukic, left, celebrates with teammates Paulo Dybala and Cristiano Ronaldo after scoring during the Serie A soccer match between Napoli and Juventus at the Allianz Stadium in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018. (Andrea Di Marco/ANSA via AP)MILAN — Cristiano Ronaldo was hired by Juventus for his scoring fame. In the absence of goals, though, his influence knows no bounds.On Saturday, Ronaldo set up all three of his side’s goals — two for Mario Mandzukic and one for Leonardo Bonucci — as Juventus beat 10-man Napoli 3-1 in Serie A.ADVERTISEMENT Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title In seven league matches so far, he has five assists, compared to three goals.It’s not quite what Juventus or Ronaldo ordered, but he and the team remain perfect on the domestic front going into his enforced rest in Tuesday’s Champions League match against Young Boys following his red card at Valencia.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“Ronaldo is having fun and doing well,” Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri said. “Tonight, he played his best match with us … we have to be better in picking him out.”Juventus’ bid for an eighth successive Serie A title looks even more unstoppable. TURNAROUNDAfter a stuttering start to the season, things seem to be clicking for Inter Milan, which has four successive wins in all competition.Inter moved into fourth spot after beating Cagliari 2-0. Lautaro Martinez and Matteo Politano scored their first goals for the club.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Former world champ Tapales makes triumphant ring return with early KO win Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Napoli’s night went from bad to worse in the 58th when defender Mario Rui was sent off for a second yellow card.Juventus capped the match 14 minutes from time. Ronaldo’s glancing header from a corner came to the far post where Bonucci was sliding in to score his first goal since his return from AC Milan in the offseason.Napoli hosts Liverpool on Wednesday in the Champions League.ROMA STOP THE ROTRoma turned in its most convincing performance yet to beat rival Lazio 3-1 in the Rome derby.Roma’s second victory in four days — after a 4-0 win over promoted Frosinone on Wednesday — gave the team some much-needed confidence ahead of a Champions League match against Viktoria Plzen on Tuesday.A surprise Champions League semifinalist last season, Roma was thoroughly outclassed by Real Madrid 3-0 in its group opener.“This performance means the team hasn’t lost its identity or idea of football,” Roma coach Eusebio Di Francesco said. “I saw the difference in their faces and their eyes today, and it showed on the pitch.”Roma is back in the Serie A fight for the Champions League places, sitting sixth, one point behind Lazio, which had won four straight.Aleksandar Kolarov scored the winner from a free kick midway through the second half. Kolarov played for Lazio from 2007-10 and scored the side’s fourth goal in a 4-2 derby win in 2009. Arne Selmonson, who played for Lazio and then Roma in the 1950s, is the only other player to score for both sides in the “Derby della Capitale.” MOST READ Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Napoli pushed Juventus all the way last season in the most exciting title race in recent history but the Bianconeri clinched the title despite being beaten at home by Napoli late in the campaign.It already has a six-point lead over Carlo Ancelotti’s team, which again looks set to be its closest challenger.Napoli took only 10 minutes to take a deserved lead. Allan picked out Jose Callejon, who found Dries Mertens with a delightful volleyed pass and the Belgium international slotted home.Juventus leveled after a great bit of skill from Ronaldo on the left saw him befuddle Elseid Hysaj and put in a cross for a Mandzukic header.Juventus completed the turnaround four minutes after the break. Ronaldo’s effort came off the left post and Mandzukic turned in the rebound.ADVERTISEMENT Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college
It was the second bold attack against a U.S. base north of Baghdad in just over two months and was notable for its use of a suicide car bomber. On Feb. 19, insurgents struck a U.S. combat post in Tarmiyah, about 30 miles north of Baghdad, killing two soldiers and wounding 17 in what the military called a “coordinated attack.” It began with a suicide car bombing, then gunfire on soldiers pinned down in a former Iraqi police station, where fuel storage tanks were set ablaze by the blast. Militants have mostly used hit-and-run ambushes, roadside bombs or mortars on U.S. troops and stayed away from direct assaults on fortified military compounds to avoid U.S. firepower. Also Monday, U.S. officials signaled that they might reconsider putting a three-mile concrete barrier around a Sunni Arab neighborhood in Baghdad after Iraq’s struggling prime minister came under pressure from Sunnis and ordered the project halted. Plans for the separation barrier to protect the Azamiyah neighborhood were in doubt after Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki criticized the idea of creating “gated communities” to separate Baghdad’s sectarian neighborhoods. Speaking during a tour of Sunni-led Arab countries, the Shiite Muslim prime minister said he did not want the 12-foot-high wall planned for Azamiyah to be seen as dividing the capital’s sects. Iraq’s Sunni Arab minority dominated during Saddam Hussein’s reign; its members remain deeply distrustful of Shiite intentions and provide the backbone of the Iraqi insurgency. Shiite militias, in turn, have been attacking Sunni neighborhoods in retaliation for insurgent attacks on their own communities. Azamiyah’s Sunni residents have been the target of frequent mortar attacks by Shiite militants, but hundreds of people in the district took to the streets to protest against the wall that they said would make their neighborhood “a big prison.” The new American ambassador to Iraq, Ryan Crocker, defended the barrier plan Monday, saying it was an effort to protect the Sunni community from surrounding Shiite areas, not to segregate it. Holding his first news conference since taking his post, Crocker said security measures were implemented in coordination with the Iraqi government. “Obviously, we will respect the wishes of the government and the prime minister,” he said, although he did not say construction would halt. Al-Maliki said he would not allow “a separation wall,” but then he said the subject would be discussed and that he would not rule out all barriers, such as barbed wire. Iraq’s chief military spokesman indicated that some type of barrier would go up, saying al-Maliki was responding to exaggerated reports about the wall. “We will continue to construct the security barriers in the Azamiyah neighborhood. This is a technical issue,” Brig. Gen. Qassim al-Moussawi said at a joint news conference with a U.S. military spokesman, Rear Adm. Mark Fox. “Setting up barriers is one thing and building barriers is another. These are moveable barriers that can be removed.” Al-Moussawi noted that similar walls made of sections of concrete are in place elsewhere in Baghdad, including in other residential neighborhoods. The confusion over the barrier reflected a lack of coordination between al-Maliki’s government and the U.S. military even as they have touted their partnership. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! BAGHDAD – Nine U.S. soldiers were killed and 20 wounded Monday in a suicide car bombing against a patrol base northeast of the capital in Diyala province, a volatile area that has been the site of fierce fighting, the military said. The attack came on a day when insurgents struck across Iraq, carrying out seven other bombings that killed at least 48 people. Of the 20 wounded in the attack on Task Force Lightning in Diyala, 15 soldiers were treated and returned to duty while five others were evacuated to a medical facility for further care, the military said. An Iraqi civilian was also wounded. Identities were not released pending notification of relatives.