“Significant differences still remain on a number of important issues,” Johnson’s official spokesman said on Monday, citing in particular EU access to UK fishing waters.The UK would “continue to engage constructively” with the EU, he added, but warned time was running out.”We’ve said we don’t want the talks to drag on into the autumn, that we want to make progress as quickly as possible in order to give certainty and clarity to business and there’s no change to that,” he told reporters. ‘Chasm’Brussels appears less pressed for time and believes the necessary ratification by the European Parliament and others would require a deal by late October.Weekend reports in British newspapers said Johnson is “reconciled” to the talks ending after the final scheduled round in mid-August, because of the “chasm” between the sides.Britain’s chief negotiator David Frost and his EU counterpart Michel Barnier kicked off this week’s talks with a joint dinner on Monday evening.Their teams are set to discuss a host of issues, from fisheries and so-called level playing field rules on fair competition to law enforcement and judicial cooperation. Without a new agreement, the two sides would see ties reduced to minimum standards set by the World Trade Organization with high tariffs and serious disruptions to business.London last week unveiled its first detailed proposals for managing Britain’s post-Brexit borders, insisting they would be implemented regardless of whether a deal was struck.The blueprint confirmed the adoption of a staged approach to border enforcement over the first six months of 2021, with initial “light-touch” checks on goods from the bloc.But a leaked letter from International Trade Secretary Liz Truss to ministerial colleagues said the proposals risk smuggling, damaging Britain’s reputation and could face a legal challenge from the WTO.Business in Northern Ireland, whose frontier with southern neighbors Ireland will be Britain’s only land border with the EU, have also demanded more clarity about arrangements.The raft of proposed border measures set out in the 206-page document laid bare the added paperwork — and costs — many firms will face in trading with entities in the EU.One key plank of anti-EU “leave” supporters’ campaign was against Brussels bureaucracy. Britain and the European Union resume talks on Tuesday, with the clock running down to a year-end deadline for a new post-Brexit deal to replace half a century of integration.The latest round of negotiations takes place over three days in the British capital, with stalemate in key areas stoking fears of a no-deal scenario.Britain formally left the EU in January, following 47 years in the European project but agreed to a standstill transition until December 31 pending new trade terms. Topics : After the coronavirus pandemic combined with the two sides’ entrenched positions to stall progress, London and Brussels last month launched five weeks of intensified negotiations. Prime Minister Boris Johnson in June vowed to add “a bit of oomph” into the gridlocked process, and predicted talks could conclude as early as this month.But several face-to-face sessions since then have yielded few signs of compromise, and the two sides remain far apart on various issues, with only two further rounds of talks left.Britain steadfastly refuses to extend the transition period and insists it will not let the negotiations “drag on” towards the end of the year.
COMMENT FOLLOW US WATCH US LIVE LIVE TV First Published: 14th August, 2020 06:31 IST Written By Hunter Renfroe hit two homers and drove in three runs, Mike Zunino belted a three-run shot over the Green Monster and out of Fenway Park and the surging Tampa Bay Rays beat the struggling Boston Red Sox 17-5 on Thursday to complete a four-game series sweep.It was the sixth straight win for the Rays (12-8), who posted their eighth consecutive victory in Fenway. Tampa Bay won for the 12th time in its last 14 games against Boston.Brandon Lowe added a solo homer during a five-run third inning that chased starter Kyle Hart (0-1), who was making his major-league debut.Manuel Margot had his second four-hit game of the series, Willy Adames had three hits and two RBIs, and Yoshi Tsutsugo had two hits and two RBIs for the Rays, who posted season-highs in runs and hits (19). Zunino drove in four runs.Kevin Plawecki had a two-run double and three RBIs for Boston, and Rafael Devers made three throwing errors after a first-inning RBI single. The Red Sox (6-13), who own the AL’s worst record, have lost four straight.Even a “drone delay” in the third, didn’t stop the Rays’ offense. The game was delayed for about four minutes by a drone flying outside the park beyond the right-field bleachers.With Tsutsugo at the plate, players on the field and the umpires pointed to where it was. The Rays’ two runners on base left the field and Boston’s fielders headed to their dugout area, too. The umpires walked off, waiting on the track near Boston’s dugout.When play resumed, Tsutsugo, the last batter Hart faced, lined an RBI single to right.Hart gave up seven runs — five earned — in two-plus innings. Rays starter Tyler Glasnow went four innings, giving up five runs on eight hits, striking out eight and walking two.Jalen Beeks (1-1) pitched two scoreless innings in relief and was credited with the win. Athony Banda pitched three innings for his first career save.Leading 10-5, Tampa Bay broke it open with a six-run sixth, scoring all the runs off Marcus Walden, who didn’t get an out. Renfroe homered over the Monster and five batters later Zunino sent his shot out of Fenway.CRAZY MOP-UP MOVESInfielder José Peraza pitched the ninth for Boston, but had to leave after getting hit on the leg by Lowe’s hard grounder.Plawecki then moved from catcher to pitcher, getting the final two outs, and Tzu-Wei Lin took over behind the plate. It was Lin’s first-ever time catching professionally.EIGHT IS MORE THAN ENOUGHThe Rays scored at least eight runs in every game of the series. Getting eight in the first two and nine on Wednesday.They came into the series ranked near the bottom of the AL in total runs before the outburst.Not bad for a team that entered the series winless on the road.TAKE THATHart struck out Renfroe swinging on a slider in the first inning for his first big-league K. In his next at-bat against the 27-year-old lefty, Renfroe sent a shot into the Red Sox bullpen.TRAINER’S ROOMRays: Brent Honeywell Jr., one of the organization’s top pitching prospects threw live BP two days ago. He underwent a decompression procedure on his right ulnar nerve on May 20 and hadn’t thrown to hitters since April of 2019.Red Sox: SS Xander Bogaerts had the day off. Manager Ron Roenicke said: “He’s got some stuff going on in his lower half, some fatigue there.” He expects him back in the lineup Friday against the Yankees.UP NEXTRays: TBD Friday night at the Toronto Blue Jays in their 2020 alternate home in Buffalo, New York, after the Canadian government wouldn’t allow them to play in the country due to the coronavirus.Red Sox: Roenicke said it’ll be a “bullpen game” in the opener of a four-game series against the Yankees in New York on Friday.Image credits: AP SUBSCRIBE TO US Last Updated: 14th August, 2020 06:31 IST Zunino Hits 3-run HR; Rays Bash Sox To Complete 4-game Sweep Hunter Renfroe hit two homers and drove in three runs, Mike Zunino belted a three-run shot over the Green Monster and out of Fenway Park and the surging Tampa Bay Rays beat the struggling Boston Red Sox 17-5 on Thursday to complete a four-game series sweep Associated Press Television News
0Shares0000FC Porto say Iker Cassilas is okay after suffering a heart attack in trainingLISBON, Portugal, May 1 – Veteran goalkeeper Iker Casillas said “everything was under control” after suffering a heart attack in training, he posted on Twitter on Wednesday.The 37-year-old, who has 167 Spain caps and played more than 500 games for Real Madrid, suffered what his club, Porto called an “acute myocardial infarction” in training earlier in the day. “Everything is under control, a big scare but all is intact. Thank you very much for the messages and affection,” Casillas said.The club’s statement on Wednesday said “the training session was interrupted to provide assistance,” adding that Casillas was in a Porto hospital “well, stable and his heart problem solved.”Portuguese media reported Casillas had undergone surgery and his season was over.Porto are second in the Portuguese championship, just two points behind leaders Benfica, and face Sporting Lisbon in the Portuguese Cup final on May 25.The news prompted an outpouring of concern from fans, clubs former team-mates and opponents.“Courage my friend. I hope you recover quickly,” former Real team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo posted on Instagram.Spain team-mate Gerard Pique tweeted: “Courage Iker, get well soon my friend!”Former England striker Gary Lineker tweeted: “Wishing @IkerCasillas a full and speedy recovery. One of the greats.”Tennis star Rafael Nada and Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, both Real Madrid fans, also sent their support.“Real Madrid and its supporters wish to see their eternal captain recover as soon as possible and send him all the support of the world,” the club said.– Trophy-laden career –Casillas joined Real before he turned 10 and played 16 seasons with the first team before moving to Porto in 2015.The former Spain captain turns 38 later in May and recently extended his contract with Porto to next year with the option of an additional year.In addition to a raft of domestic honours with Real and Porto, Casillas has won one World Cup, two European Championships and three Champions Leagues.Iker Casillas came on as a substitute as Real Madrid won the 2002 Champions League final with a spectacular goal by Zinedine Zidane © AFP / GERRY PENNYHe said Porto had told him of they wanted to keep him until he turned 40.Casillas joins a growing list of footballers who have suffered heart attacks.The most recent fatal attack came just last week, when experienced Burundi international Papy Faty died after collapsing during an eSwatini (formerly Swaziland) league match.The most high-profile recent case was former captain of Fiorentina Davide Astori, who died of a heart attack in his sleep prior to a Serie A match with Udinese in March 2018.Casillas and his partner, Spanish journalist Sara Carbonero, have two sons: Martin (5) and Lucas (2).0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)