August 3, 2021
  • 10:00 pm Eveready East Africa Limited (EVRD.ke) HY2010 Interim Report
  • 9:59 pm Mauritian Eagle Insurance Co. Limited (MEI.mu) 2011 Abridged Report
  • 9:58 pm ARM Cement Limited (ARM.ke) HY2011 Interim Report
  • 9:57 pm Medtech Holdings Limited (MMDZ.zw) 2012 Abridged Report
  • 9:55 pm DN Tyre & Rubber Plc (DUNLOP.ng) 2013 Annual Report

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County lawmakers rejected a bill on Tuesday that would have required the three-member Suffolk Off-Track Better Corp. board to get the Brookhaven town board’s approval before the OTB builds a planned mini-casino in Medford.Seven county legislators voted for the proposal, while 10 members of the 18-member panel voted against it during a meeting in Riverhead. Opposing lawmakers said revenue and jobs that the facility would create outweigh neighbors’ fears of increased traffic and crime. Those favoring the bill said that New York State law requires host municipalities to pass resolutions supporting plans to build such facilities—but the state Gaming Commission, which regulates gambling facilities, denied that assertion.“There needs to be a local process,” said Majority Leader Robert Calarco (D-Patchogue), who proposed the bill. He noted that he is not opposed to building the facility. But he took issue with the OTB moving forward despite the Brookhaven town board having passed a nonbinding resolution opposing the Medford location.The fight comes as the Nassau Off-Track Betting Corp. searches for a location for an equivalent facility—1,000 video lottery terminals (VLT), aka slot machines—after the agency bowed to public opposition and scrapped plans to build a gaming parlor in the shuttered Fortunoff in Westbury. Before the Westbury plan imploded, the Democratic minority in the GOP-controlled Nassau County Legislature had proposed a bill to replace the OTB board, but Presiding Officer Norma Gonsalves (R-East Meadow) refused to consider it for a vote. Calarco’s proposal stopped short of firing the Suffolk OTB board.In Suffolk, the OTB bought a 31-acre vacant lot—the site of a former movie theater—for $10 million on the Long Island Expressway service road. The agency plans to build an estimated $40-million, nearly 100,000-square-foot parlor. It is currently in the traffic-study phase and hopes to get state approval to open by next year. The facility would have one-fifth as many games as Resort World Casino at Aqueduct Racetrack in Queens, the only so-called racino on geographic Long Island.Last week New York State Assemb. Michael Fitzpatrick (R-Smithtown) proposed a bill that would rescind authorization for Nassau and Suffolk OTBs to build such facilities—authorization that voters had granted in a 2013 referendum. Hundreds of residents also recently spoke out against the plan at a meeting held by Medford civic groups that oppose OTB’s project.“OTB has put the cart before the horse,” MaryAnn Johnston, president of the Affiliated Brookhaven Civic Organizations, wrote in a letter urging lawmakers to vote for Calarco’s bill. “OTB lacks the basic approvals to move the VLT project forward.”OTB officials maintain that they are following the law and that the issues neighbors say the gaming parlor may cause in their community would be mitigated by security measures.“We are going to do our level best to minimize any problems in any area,” said Phil Nolan, president of the Suffolk OTB, which is emerging from bankruptcy. “We are trying to be as good neighborly as we can.”Lee Park, a spokesman for the state Gaming Commission, said that the Suffolk OTB is not subject to local zoning laws since the proposed VLT facility is treated as an OTB branch under state law, not a full-fledged casino, such as those upstate that do require host municipalities to pass resolutions supporting them.Presiding Officer DuWayne Gregory (D-Amityville), a former Suffolk OTB worker, urged lawmakers to oppose Calarco’s bill. As an alternative, he proposed creating a citizens’ advisory committee on the Medford plan to ensure that their concerns are addressed.“Whether you like it or not, we’re in the casino business,” said Legis. Thomas Barraga (R-West Islip), who voted against the bill after noting that multiple Atlantic City casinos have recently closed because nearby states such as New York have begun opening their own—indicating that New Yorkers prefer gambling close to home.“The hard reality is that this is going to be built,” he said. To a mix of cheers and boos, he added: “And there’s a high probability it will be built in Medford.”last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgPresident Donald Trump, tweeted “The FBI, local and state law enforcement are working together in El Paso and in Dayton, Ohio. Information is rapidly being accumulated in Dayton. Much has already be learned in El Paso. Law enforcement was very rapid in both instances. Updates will be given throughout the day!”Victims have been treated at four different hospitals and it is believed that number is rising9 dead in mass shooting in Dayton https://t.co/lCVwbo97VG pic.twitter.com/0PkS6oCDOs— The Hill (@thehill) August 4, 2019 Another mass shooting in the last 24 hours has claimed the lives of nine people and injured 16. Police say this triggerman used a long gun open fire on a crowd of people within 24 hours of a horrific shooting in El Paso Texas that claimed 20 lives an injured 26. Police say the shooting began at about 1AM this morning on East Fifth Street in the Oregon district of the city.The shooter, who has not been identified, fired multiple rounds using a long gun, was killed by police outside of Ned Peppers Bar. He was wearing a bulletproof vest and had extra magazines. Mayor Nan Whaley said that police responded to the shooting in less than a minute. The motive is unknown at this timecenter_img Fortunately, Dayton olice were in the area and quickly shot the gunman dead to prevent further bloodshed. The motive is unknown.last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgAt the world famous bike park Velopark Pamporovo in Bulgaria on a track that is located 2.000 meters above sea level, the Balkan Champions in mountain biking were held on Saturday, 14 September.The B&H team participated in this race. Muhamed Liha came in fourth place, and Antonio Barać came in fifth place. There were 24 participants in total per category from 11 countries.The trail was 5.100 meters long.(Source: klix.ba/Photo: Facebook)last_img

READ MORE

first_imgSaudi Arabia is concerned that the conference will corner it into a high-profile meeting with the Israelis without assurances that Israel will address the most difficult issues of the peace process, such as the borders of a Palestinian state, the status of east Jerusalem and the future of millions of Palestinian refugees.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsEgypt insisted Thursday that Annapolis could mark a major breakthrough. Mubarak’s spokesman Suleiman Awad said the Bush administration was “achieving progress that will pave the way to the establishment of the two states and an independent Palestinian state within the next year and before the end of Bush’s term.” “This is a commitment for a timetable that we hear for the first time,” he told reporters as Mubarak, Jordan’s King Abdullah II and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas met. He said the three leaders agree that “the conference gives a large space for optimism.” Awad said Annapolis would launch “serious peace negotiations according to a timetable and with an agreed upon follow-up mechanism” – all top demands of Saudi Arabia. The United States is pushing for Saudi Arabia, which unlike Jordan and Egypt has no peace agreement or diplomatic relations with Israel, to send its foreign minister. President George W. Bush spoke Tuesday by telephone with Saudi King Abdullah. SHARM EL-SHEIK, Egypt – Egypt, Jordan and the Palestinians sought Thursday to persuade skeptical Arab nations to attend a U.S.-sponsored Mideast peace conference, insisting it could open the door to a Palestinian state in the next year. Saudi Arabia and Syria remain the most important holdouts. Egypt’s President Hosni Mubarak held a minisummit with the leaders of Jordan and the Palestinians in this Red Sea resort, bringing together the strongest Arab supporters of next week’s conference in Annapolis, Md. So far, Saudi Arabia and Syria have appeared unconvinced the conference will bring significant peace commitments from Israel. The Saudis want a firm timetable for negotiations on the important issues of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, while the Syrians are pressing for Annapolis to address the Israeli-held Golan Heights. Late Thursday, foreign ministers and two ambassadors from countries on the Arab League’s peace initiative committee began informal meetings in Cairo. The talks are expected to chisel a unified Arab stand on the Annapolis conference that would be endorsed today at an official League meeting. last_img read more

READ MORE