August 3, 2021
  • 10:00 pm Eveready East Africa Limited (EVRD.ke) HY2010 Interim Report
  • 9:59 pm Mauritian Eagle Insurance Co. Limited (MEI.mu) 2011 Abridged Report
  • 9:58 pm ARM Cement Limited (ARM.ke) HY2011 Interim Report
  • 9:57 pm Medtech Holdings Limited (MMDZ.zw) 2012 Abridged Report
  • 9:55 pm DN Tyre & Rubber Plc (DUNLOP.ng) 2013 Annual Report

first_imgSouth Korea’s Green New Deal a ‘stunningly ambitious’ transition for coal-dominated country FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Channel News Asia:When South Korea’s Democratic Party, under the leadership of President Moon Jae-in, romped to a comprehensive victory in national elections last month, it signaled overwhelming confidence in the incumbent government during a period of crisis.In effect, it also endorsed Moon’s newly launched climate change policy, which he has dubbed South Korea’s Green New Deal, echoing language used in Europe and the United States for a transformative agenda to shift away from damaging fossil fuels.It puts the country, which is currently the seventh biggest carbon polluter in the world, on a crash course with a painful, controversial but necessary overhaul of its energy systems. The action plan that the government announced in March – including a large-scale investment in renewable energy, the phasing out of coal operations and financing, a new carbon tax and a target of zero net emissions by 2050 – is at odds with much of the existing infrastructure and policies.Achieving these goals for South Korea will be a more challenging task than in many other nations trying to make similar changes to their power production, according to leading regional energy expert, Melissa Brown.“Generally speaking at a diplomatic level, you have a very comfortable embrace of green themes, green topics and the trappings of deep environmentalism. (But) the reality of the ground normally doesn’t match. It’s been a point of contention in Korea,” said Brown, the director of Energy Finance Studies, Asia at the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis. “When we talk about the Green New Deal and trying to redirect Korea, it can seem a stunningly ambitious exercise.”South Korea relies on coal for about 44 per cent of its power needs presently. The non-nuclear renewable sector, including wind and solar is underdeveloped and accounted for less than 2 percent of production in 2018.[Jack Board]More: South Korea’s Green New Deal ‘stunningly ambitious’ for one of region’s top polluterslast_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgRay White New Farm principal Matt Lancashire recently sold his house at 50 Crase St, New Farm.The colonial property is one of Brisbane’s iconic heritage homes; perched high on a hill with superb views and boasting wide verandahs overlooking landscaped gardens.Built in 1887, the home was named Blenheim House by its original owner, JG Johnson, a civil engineer who owned the property until its sale in 1893.“It won’t be a significant renovation — more a cosmetic facelift … to just make it ours,” Mr Lancashire said. There is more demand than supply for Brisbane’s prestige property market at the moment.Mr Adcock said he had negotiated $22 million worth of property sales in the past 90 days.“Some of those people were interested four or five weeks ago, but are now ready to buy,” he said.“We’re seeing a lot of (overseas buyers and expats) who were going to buy in Sydney or Melbourne, instead coming to Brisbane. “And a lot of locals are thinking now is the time to upgrade and get some good capital groqwth over the next few years.” New Farm heritage home, Blenheim House, is rich in history. This property at 146 Virginia Ave, Hawthorne, has sold for more than $6m.“There are more buyers than properties, which is great because it’s been a long time since that happened,” she said.One of the biggest residential transactions of 2019 so far is the sale of a riverfront property at 39 Griffith St, New Farm.The five-bedroom, three-bathroom house on an 873 sqm block fetched $7.75 million in March when it sold at auction to Queensland richlister and property developer Kevin Seymour. Ray White prestige agent Matt Lancashire has bought Blenheim House in New Farm.For the first time in years, agents say market confidence has hit a new high, there is a sense of urgency to buy and demand is outweighing supply — creating a prestige property drought that could drive up prices over the next few years.“I think Brisbane is targeted in the next three to five years to see some significant growth,” Mr Lancashire said.“With all the infrastructure that’s going in, all of the urban renewal that’s happening, Brisbane is a really affordable, livable city. Matt Lancashire, wife Caitlyn and two of their three kids, Monty, 3, and Lulu, 1. Picture: Annette Dew.HE may spruik Brisbane’s prestige property market for a living, but you can’t say Matt Lancashire doesn’t put his money where his mouth is. The principal of Ray White New Farm and the man behind many of the city’s most expensive home sales recently sunk more than $4 million — according to industry sources — into his own forever home in New Farm.Mr Lancashire refused to reveal the purchase price, but has no doubts the 130-year-old heritage home on a 1000 sqm corner block is worth every cent.The top agent’s investment says a lot about his faith in the future of Brisbane’s prestige housing market. The quaint kitchen in Blenheim House.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus12 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market12 hours agoMr Lancashire said there had been a surge in buyer activity since the federal election, which had increased competition for what was an already tight market with limited stock. “Since the election, we’ve seen a 30 per cent increase (in online) enquiries and a 10 per cent increase in open for inspection numbers, which is a huge statistic,” Mr Lancashire said.And he’s not the only prestige agent noticing a change at the top end of town.Adcock Prestige Property managing director Jason Adcock said he had noticed “ a renewed sense of urgency” among buyers, which he had not seen since 2010.“Ever since the LNP got back in and the interest rate reduction, we’ve seen a renewed surge in buyers who were sitting on their hands now moving forward,” Mr Adcock said.“They realise there is likely to be strong, steady growth over the next few years and realise they’ll have to capitalise now.” This home at 30 Wendell St, Norman Park, has sold for $6m.Mrs Hackett said she had also noticed an influx in buyers looking to upgrade since the federal election. She said she had negotiated three sales above $6 million on the Brisbane River in the past 45 days.They include a four-bedroom house at 30 Wendell St, Norman Park, formerly owned by Aria Development boss Tim Forrester, and another riverfront property at 146 Virginia Ave, Hawthorne. This house at 65 Longman Tce, Chelmer, has sold for $6.6m.Place Estate Agents managing director Sarah Hackett said the top end of the market was awash with buyers waiting to pounce on prestige properties, but there were not enough to choose from.“I’ve never seen such a little amount of stock available,” Mrs Hackett said.“We’re seeing multiple offers on properties because there’s not as much to choose from.“(Properties with) good floorplans conducive to the outdoors, gardens and the river are in demand.” This property at 39 Griffith St, New Farm, sold for $7.75m at auction.Mr Lancashire, who sold 39 Griffith Street along with colleague Nicholas Given, said the sale was proof buyers in Brisbane were willing spend big dollars to secure the right property — even if it was in less private circumstances than an off market or private treaty deal. A verandah overlooks the pool at Blenheim House.“I deal with a lot of people from Sydney and Melbourne, as well as expats who are making lifestyle decisions to come back and being affordable is a huge factor for them.” Mr Lancashire and his wife, Caitlin, are about to embark on a renovation of their new home before moving in, having recently sold their previous home in Teneriffe.“We’d been looking around New Farm for a big block, bid at a number of auctions and were always looking for our next 20-plus year home,” Mr Lancashire said.last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgWisconsin’s border-battle rivalry continues with Minnesota Wednesday as the Badger volleyball team takes on the Golden Gophers. While the two don’t play for a trophy of any kind, there still is a lot on the line — most importantly second place in the Big Ten. “[The rivalry is] equally as big,” senior middle blocker and assistant captain Amy Bladow said. “I wish we did have an axe because everything between Wisconsin and Minnesota is a big rivalry. No matter what it is we are always going at them hard.” Even though second place should be enough motivation to go out and play well, Bladow said there is always extra motivation for the Badgers when they play the Gophers.”Every weekend we go out and want to obviously play well and beat whoever we play in the Big Ten,” Bladow said. “When you go out and see the Gophers on the other side there definitely is that little extra edge for bragging rights and border games and everything. “We have girls from Minnesota and they have girls from Wisconsin, so no matter what someone is going to be talking.”Wisconsin will be looking for the return of senior floor captain Maria Carlini, who has been out the last three games with a foot injury. Carlini practiced Tuesday and head coach Pete Waite said they were testing her.”We are going to see how she feels tonight and then tomorrow,” Waite said. “It’s always the day after is what you got to look for. Obviously it’s has been about ten days, so we got to see how she feels and how we feel about her being in there. It was a good sign. It was a start and she is real excited to be out there.”Despite the possibility of Carlini coming back tonight, Waite said freshman outside hitter Caity DuPont — who played in Carlini’s spot over the weekend — should still see some playing time. “[DuPont] sure has proven she can do it,” Waite said. “That is something we are going to have to talk about as a staff tomorrow, see who we are going to start and who is going to come off the bench. “During the course of a match, it’s great to have three people that you are confident in on the left side that can take swings for you. “After starting out the year slow with a 6-4 start, Minnesota has picked its play in the Big Ten, going 7-1, the only loss coming at Penn State. The strong play of late has moved Minnesota up No. 17 in the AVCA rankings, after being unranked to start the year.”This is a team that right now in the rankings is below us but we’re going into their gym,” Waite said. “You got to feel like we are the underdogs going in. We’ve got to battle to get that win.”For Wisconsin to beat its border rivals, Bladow said a fast start is essential.”They always have a really great crowd and their student section is really great,” Bladow said. “I think that if we go out and get started right away with high energy, play really good defense, and serve really tough then hopefully we come out with a victory.”If the Badgers are able to get out to a fast start like they did against Purdue and Indiana, Bladow also said it would be hard for Wisconsin to lose.”The Big Ten is a crazy place and we have seen some amazing upsets already this year,” Bladow said. “Every team comes out in the Big Ten and every night is going to be completely different. “Hopefully we can maintain that really great play from Indiana and Purdue for the rest of the Big Ten season. In that case we will come out being undefeated at home and with a really good ranking going into the NCAA tournament.”last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgRobin van Persie has travelled with Arsenal’s squad for Tuesday’s Champions League last-16 tie at Barcelona, while Cesc Fabregas is likely to be fit.Fellow midfielder Jack Wilshere has been passed fit but Alex Song (knee) is out along with Theo Walcott (ankle).Barcelona will field a makeshift central defensive pairing with captain Carles Puyol ruled out with a knee problem and Gerard Pique suspended.Eric Abidal is set to be paired with defensive midfielder Sergio Busquets.Abidal, normally a full-back, played only 19 minutes of Barca’s 1-0 victory over Real Zaragoza on Saturday, when striker David Villa (29 minutes) and midfielder Andres Iniesta (nine) were also used sparingly and other players were rested.Barca assistant coach Tito Vilanova, who gave the post-match conference to allow coach Pep Guardiola to nurse a back problem, said: “We will arrive at the match against Arsenal well prepared. “We rested some players and improved the physical condition of others. I think they will all be able to play on Tuesday without problems.”Arsenal midfielder Andrey Arshavin came off the bench in the first leg at the Emirates to score the goal that gives the Gunners a 2-1 advantage going into the Tuesday’s game.Fabregas played in that victory but has missed the Gunners last three matches with a hamstring injury, while Van Persie injured his knee in the Carling Cup final on 27 February.Wilshere declared his availability on Sunday after recovering from an ankle knock picked up in the 0-0 draw against Sunderland on Saturday.With centre-back Thomas Vermaelen still out, Johan Djourou and Laurent Koscielny will be tasked with taming Lionel Messi, Villa and, in all probability, Pedro Rodriguez in attack. Barcelona, the Spanish league leaders, beat Arsenal 2-1 in the 2006 Champions League final and 6-3 on aggregate in last year’s quarter-finals.Source: BBClast_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgIt was the second bold attack against a U.S. base north of Baghdad in just over two months and was notable for its use of a suicide car bomber. On Feb. 19, insurgents struck a U.S. combat post in Tarmiyah, about 30 miles north of Baghdad, killing two soldiers and wounding 17 in what the military called a “coordinated attack.” It began with a suicide car bombing, then gunfire on soldiers pinned down in a former Iraqi police station, where fuel storage tanks were set ablaze by the blast. Militants have mostly used hit-and-run ambushes, roadside bombs or mortars on U.S. troops and stayed away from direct assaults on fortified military compounds to avoid U.S. firepower. Also Monday, U.S. officials signaled that they might reconsider putting a three-mile concrete barrier around a Sunni Arab neighborhood in Baghdad after Iraq’s struggling prime minister came under pressure from Sunnis and ordered the project halted. Plans for the separation barrier to protect the Azamiyah neighborhood were in doubt after Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki criticized the idea of creating “gated communities” to separate Baghdad’s sectarian neighborhoods. Speaking during a tour of Sunni-led Arab countries, the Shiite Muslim prime minister said he did not want the 12-foot-high wall planned for Azamiyah to be seen as dividing the capital’s sects. Iraq’s Sunni Arab minority dominated during Saddam Hussein’s reign; its members remain deeply distrustful of Shiite intentions and provide the backbone of the Iraqi insurgency. Shiite militias, in turn, have been attacking Sunni neighborhoods in retaliation for insurgent attacks on their own communities. Azamiyah’s Sunni residents have been the target of frequent mortar attacks by Shiite militants, but hundreds of people in the district took to the streets to protest against the wall that they said would make their neighborhood “a big prison.” The new American ambassador to Iraq, Ryan Crocker, defended the barrier plan Monday, saying it was an effort to protect the Sunni community from surrounding Shiite areas, not to segregate it. Holding his first news conference since taking his post, Crocker said security measures were implemented in coordination with the Iraqi government. “Obviously, we will respect the wishes of the government and the prime minister,” he said, although he did not say construction would halt. Al-Maliki said he would not allow “a separation wall,” but then he said the subject would be discussed and that he would not rule out all barriers, such as barbed wire. Iraq’s chief military spokesman indicated that some type of barrier would go up, saying al-Maliki was responding to exaggerated reports about the wall. “We will continue to construct the security barriers in the Azamiyah neighborhood. This is a technical issue,” Brig. Gen. Qassim al-Moussawi said at a joint news conference with a U.S. military spokesman, Rear Adm. Mark Fox. “Setting up barriers is one thing and building barriers is another. These are moveable barriers that can be removed.” Al-Moussawi noted that similar walls made of sections of concrete are in place elsewhere in Baghdad, including in other residential neighborhoods. The confusion over the barrier reflected a lack of coordination between al-Maliki’s government and the U.S. military even as they have touted their partnership. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! BAGHDAD – Nine U.S. soldiers were killed and 20 wounded Monday in a suicide car bombing against a patrol base northeast of the capital in Diyala province, a volatile area that has been the site of fierce fighting, the military said. The attack came on a day when insurgents struck across Iraq, carrying out seven other bombings that killed at least 48 people. Of the 20 wounded in the attack on Task Force Lightning in Diyala, 15 soldiers were treated and returned to duty while five others were evacuated to a medical facility for further care, the military said. An Iraqi civilian was also wounded. Identities were not released pending notification of relatives. last_img read more

READ MORE