To recall, a portion of WVMC’s medical/surgical ward went on a one-day lockdown on July 10 after a 13-year-old boy patient tested positive for COVID-19. “Nakahatag sang letter si Dr. Nicolo nga kon puede [ang mga patients] dira lang anay sa mga district hospitals. Kon indi gid masarangan kag kinahanglan gid nga i-refer sa Western, may makeshift tent sa sagwa nga maka-accommodate,” said Abello. Meanwhile, Dr. Joseph Dean Nicolo, chief of WVMC, issued an advisory to the Provincial Health Office and district hospitals in Iloilo province and other parts of Region 6 to suspend the issuance of referrals. Of the three infected personnel, one was a nurse assigned in a non-COVID emergency room, one was a radiologist and another was an institutional worker, according to Dr. Stephanie Abello, chief pathologist of the WVMC sub-national laboratory where the region’s COVID-19 tests are conducted. “Once ma-decontaminate ang mga areas, mabalik man ila operation,” Abello added. She said makeshift tents were installed outside the WVMC to assure patients of continued medical care. Four areas of the hospital were immediately locked down on Wednesday to stop the virus from spreading. “Sa subong gina-trace kon diin gid ang source. Puede nga community acquired or sa patient,” Abello furthered. Also, more than a week ago, a portion of the hospital’s orthopedic ward was locked down after a 72-year-old male patient from Igbaras, Iloilo was found infected with COVID-19. Over 51 contacts of the three WVMC personnel have so far been traced and specimens were collected from them for analysis. Abello said they temporarily sealed off the St. Anthony ward, St. Augustine ward, portions of the non-COVID emergency room and radiology department to allow decontamination and restrict movement while contract tracing is ongoing. She disclosed that the hospital has yet to determine the source of infection of the three cases. People walk past the front of Western Visayas Medical Center’s emergency room in Mandurriao, Iloilo City on Wednesday. Some portions of the hospital went on lockdown after three workers tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN Abello clarified that notwithstanding the lockdown, the hospital remains in operation. ILOILO – Two healthcare workers and an employee of the Western Visayas Medical Center (WVMC) in Mandurriao district tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China in December 2019./PN
COLLEGE BASKETBALL-NEWSPitino returning to college hoopsUNDATED (AP) — Rick Pitino is a college basketball coach once again.Pitino has accepted the head coaching position at Iona, three years after being forced to leave Louisville.Pitino was the first coach to take three different schools to the NCAA Final Four, doing it with Louisville, Kentucky and Providence. He won national championships with the 2013 Cardinals and 1996 Wildcats, although his Louisville title was vacated over NCAA violations involving the team’s director of basketball operations. In other developments related to the virus:— Cleveland State women’s basketball coach Chris Kielsmeier has tested positive for the coronavirus. CSU has issued a statement saying Kielsmeier is the first confirmed case of the virus at the school, as confirmed by Cuyahoga County health officials.— In Los Angeles, the Lakers, Clippers, Kings and Staples Center, have joined together to set up a fund to provide financial help to all hourly arena workers impacted by the stoppage of games. The fund will help compensate for lost wages through the end of the NBA and NHL regular seasons. Payments will go to over 2,800 workers.— The United Center ownership and the Chicago Bulls and Blackhawks say they will pay day-of-game employees through the end of their scheduled seasons. The NBA and NHL seasons have been suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic. In a statement attributed to Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf, the teams say their employees “are family, and we will navigate this unprecedented situation together.”— Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (shin-zoh AH’-bay) says his country still intends to host the Olympic Games in Tokyo as planned. He says the virus outbreak hasn’t reached a point in Japan that requires him to declare a national emergency like the United States and parts of Europe. Abe says Japan is continuing to “coordinate well” with the International Olympic Committee. President Donald Trump suggested this week that Japan should consider postponing the Olympics, which are scheduled to open July 24. The Nationals also dropped David Hernandez, who surrendered five earned runs over 2 1/3 innings over four appearances this spring.IDITARODIditarod mushes on; fans being urged to skip finish in NomeANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — As Iditarod mushers drove their dog teams across Alaska on Saturday, race officials scrambled to make last minute changes prompted by concerns over the new coronavirus, including asking fans not to fly to Nome for the finish.Officials late Friday night urged race fans, especially those from out of state, to skip the finish this week. City officials in Nome followed most other Alaska cities in closing or limiting access to most public buildings in wake of the state’s first positive test, that of a man from outside the United States. The man was tested Thursday at an Anchorage hospital after earlier arriving in the city on a private cargo plane. — The Pac-12 Conference has canceled all spring sports and championships following a meeting of conference executives and athletic directors. The conference also announced that all organized team activities are not allowed until at least March 29, when that decision will be revisited. The smaller Southland Conference also announced a similar move.— The ECHL board of governors approved the cancellation of the remainder of the season. The professional hockey league has 26 teams in the United States and Canada.— The XFL says a player with the Seattle Dragons has tested positive for coronavirus. The fledgling football league says the unidentified player reported his symptoms to team medical staff on Tuesday and has been in quarantine ever since. He was tested for COVID-19 and received the result Friday.— The Italian soccer players’ association says it is “saddened and outraged” that clubs are still calling on their players to attend training sessions. In a statement, the players’ association notes that “some clubs” are bringing in players to train in small groups, “or, even worse, for daily checks of their temperature.” Italy is the European country hit worst by the virus, where the number of virus cases climbed to over nearly 20,000, with more than 1,000 deaths.— A leading executive at a relegation-threatened Premier League team has called for the English soccer season to be abandoned, saying officials were in “dreamland” if they thought play could resume early next month after games were suspended amid the coronavirus outbreak. In a column in The Sun newspaper, West Ham vice-chair Karren Brady wrote that “The only fair and reasonable thing to do is declare the whole season null and void.” West Ham is in 16th place in the 20-team division. The Premier League said it hopes to be back up and running, if possible, by the weekend of April 3-4 – meaning two rounds will have been missed – but Brady sees that prospect as unlikely. March 14, 2020 — The Chinese soccer team that was originally stuck in Spain because of the outbreak is going back home to try to avoid its rapid spread in Europe. Wuhan Zall was expected to return to China on Saturday, nearly 1 1/2 months after it arrived in Spain for preseason training. The team had not been able to leave because of the restrictions in China but expedited its departure because of the worsening situation in Spain. Confirmed coronavirus infections have reached nearly 6,000 people in Spain and the government has declared a two-week state of emergency.— The International Triathlon Union has suspended all competitions and activities from Monday to the end of April. Major events postponed include the second world series event in Bermuda on April 18-19, and four World Cups in the United States, New Zealand, Brazil and Mexico.— The Edinburgh Marathon that was to take place on May 24 has been postponed. Race director Neil Kilgour said a new date for the marathon in the Scottish capital is expected to be announced on Monday.— The men’s curling world championships in Scotland have been canceled, along with the mixed and senior events in Canada.— German cyclist Maximilian Schachmann has won the Paris-Nice race in a rare case of a sporting event still going ahead amid the coronavirus pandemic. UNDATED (AP) — The Washington Redskins have placed the franchise tag on three-time Pro Bowl guard Brandon Scherff as they attempt to keep him in the fold next season.The team didn’t designate the exclusive, franchise tag on Scherff, meaning he can still talk to other teams. Washington would have the right to match another offer or receive two first-round picks as compensation.The 28-year-old Scherff was the fifth overall pick in the 2015 draft and has been a force for Washington when healthy.In other NFL news:— Falcons fullback Keith Smith has agreed to a three-year contract extension rather than test the free agent market that opens Wednesday. Smith started five games and led the team with eight special teams tackles last season after playing all 16 games for the 2018 Raiders. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSPistons’ Wood tests positive for coronavirusUNDATED (AP) — Another NBA player has tested positive for the coronavirus. The Iditarod had previously postponed post-race events in Nome, including the musher’s banquet and an annual meet-and-greet with mushers.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The 67-year-old Pitino has a 770-271 overall record in college. He replaces Tim Cluess, who resigned Friday for health reasons after 10 seasons and six NCAA Tournament appearances.In other college basketball news:— Freshman Brycen Goodine is transferring from Syracuse after averaging just nine minutes and 1.9 points this past season. He appeared in 23 of the Orange’s 32 games and hit just three of his 23 3-point attempts.NFL-NEWSRedskins give franchise tag to Scherff Update on the latest in sports: — The Lions have re-signed long snapper Don Muhlbach, giving him a chance to play in his 17th NFL season. He is second on Detroit’s career list with 244 games played.MLB-NEWSNats release StricklandWASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington Nationals have released relief pitcher Hunter Strickland in a series of moves by the reigning World Series champs.Strickland was expected to stabilize Washington’s bullpen after being acquired from Seattle at the July 31 trade deadline last season, but he recorded a 5.14 ERA in 21 innings over 24 appearances for the Nationals. He didn’t pitch for the Nats during the postseason. Associated Press A person with direct knowledge of the situation says Pistons forward Christian Wood has contracted the virus and is feeling fine. The team confirmed it had a player who tested positive without revealing his name.Wood’s diagnosis was revealed one week after he played against the Utah Jazz, spending much of that night matched up with Rudy Gobert (goh-BEHR’). The NBA opted to suspend its season Wednesday, immediately after Gobert became the first league player to test positive.Jazz teammate Donovan Mitchell also has tested positive.Wood was enjoying a breakout season, averaging career highs of 13.1 points and 6.3 rebounds while starting 12 of 62 games. He’s been exception over his last 10 games, providing 24.2 points and 9.8 rebounds per contest.Meanwhile, Gobert has donated $500,000 to support health services in the U.S. and France and employees of the team impacted by the coronavirus. His donation was announced by the Jazz, who said some of the money will go to COVID 19-related social services relief in Utah, Oklahoma City and within the French health care system.
Related posts:Ex-rebel commander favored in El Salvador runoff Conservative in Salvadoran vote demands fresh polls as political divisions intensify Voters head to the polls in El Salvador to elect legislators, mayors Final election results in El Salvador give ARENA majority in congress SAN SALVADOR – The parties of both candidates in El Salvador’s surprisingly tight presidential runoff clash claimed victory late Sunday.Pre-election polls indicated that ex-guerrilla leader Salvador Sánchez Cerén of the Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front (FMLN) would easily defeat Norman Quijano with the conservative ARENA party.But with all of the returns tallied, the leftist candidate was leading by a tiny margin: 50.11 percent to 49.98, electoral authorities reported.“We won the first round and now we have triumphed again in the runoff,” Sánchez Cerén told enthusiastic supporters amid an explosion of fireworks.But his ARENA counterpart was convinced its side had won.Quijano claimed victory in a speech to supporters, and insisted that he would not allow “fraud of the Chavista or [Nicolás] Maduro style like in Venezuela.”He claimed that El Salvador’s military was “aware of the fraud that is being perpetrated” by election authorities along with the FMLN.Sánchez Cerén had conciliatory words for his rival.“We can say right now that you have the doors open to work with us to move El Salvador forward,” he said.Election officials, likely expecting that vote results will be challenged and there will be calls for a recount, urged both sides to wait for final results.“This tribunal recommends and orders that no party declare itself winner given such close results,” said Supreme Electoral Tribunal president Eugenio Chicas in a TV and radio message. Salvadoran presidential candidate for the National Republican Alliance party, Norman Quijano, right, accompanied by one of his daughters, gives a thumbs up after casting his vote during the runoff election, in San Salvador, on March 9, 2014. AFP/Inti OCONTeacher, rebel, vice presidentSánchez Cerén, 69, is El Salvador’s vice president. A former teacher and ex-education minister, he was one of five top guerrilla commanders during El Salvador’s bitter 1979-92 civil war, which pitted the FMLN against the U.S.-backed conservative government.Conservatives were in power for two decades until 2009, when Salvadorans elected FMLN candidate Mauricio Funes, a former journalist, as their first leftist president.The FMLN fell just shy of an outright victory in a first round vote last month, and Sánchez Cerén was expected to easily win the runoff vote.Meanwhile Quijano, 67, the mayor of the capital city San Salvador, is a law and order candidate who campaigned on the country’s high crime rate and the notorious “mara” street gangs behind much of El Salvador’s drug dealing and extortion.After the first-round vote, Quijano overhauled his image and talked more about keeping children out of gangs and rehabilitating those already ensnared by them.Quijano however suffered from his links to ex-president Francisco Flores, a former campaign adviser, under scrutiny over $10 million donated by Taiwan that went missing during his 1999-2004 government.ARENA removed Flores from his advisory job, but the controversy has damaged Quijano.A civil war legacyAfter the civil war, El Salvador found itself facing violence from the street gangs, which control whole neighborhoods and run drug distribution and extortion rackets.Homicides were running at 14 per day until a truce was reached between the two main gangs in March 2012, which helped to halve the murder rate. But extortion and other crimes persist.The maras are believed have around 60,000 members, 10,000 of whom are behind bars.Sánchez Cerén wants to rehabilitate former gang members, but said he would fight those who refuse to give up street life.Whoever wins and takes office on June 1 will face a shaky economy.Forty percent of El Salvador’s six million people live in poverty, and the country relies heavily on remittances sent by Salvadorans living abroad — around $4 billion a year, or 16 percent of the country’s GDP.Sánchez Cerén vows to spend more money on social programs which he said he would finance via a “progressive fiscal policy.”“The main thing is to use those funds honestly,” he has said. Facebook Comments