August 1, 2021
  • 10:00 pm Eveready East Africa Limited (EVRD.ke) HY2010 Interim Report
  • 9:59 pm Mauritian Eagle Insurance Co. Limited (MEI.mu) 2011 Abridged Report
  • 9:58 pm ARM Cement Limited (ARM.ke) HY2011 Interim Report
  • 9:57 pm Medtech Holdings Limited (MMDZ.zw) 2012 Abridged Report
  • 9:55 pm DN Tyre & Rubber Plc (DUNLOP.ng) 2013 Annual Report

first_imgStudents will gather in Alumni Park today to hear President Barack Obama speak at the “Moving American Forward” rally for senatorial candidate Sen. Barbara Boxer and gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown.Boxer is currently locked in a tight race for California’s senate seat against Republican candidate Carly Fiorina, the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, while Brown is facing off against Republican Meg Whitman, the former CEO of eBay.The stop at USC is one of many for the president, who recently visited the University of Wisconsin and the University of Washington.“The Democrats are trying dramatically to reconstitute the coalition that came out to vote in record numbers in 2008, and the youth vote was a significant part of that,” said Sherry Bebitch Jeffe, an expert in state politics and a senior fellow at the School of Policy, Planning, and Development.Politicians across the nation are visiting campuses to raise support for Democratic candidates in the upcoming midterm elections. Last week, former President Bill Clinton visited UCLA to raise votes for Brown and Gavin Newsom, the San Francisco mayor who is running for state lieutenant governor.Boxer is leading Fiorina in the polls with an expected 51 percent voter support, according to a recent poll conducted by USC and the Los Angeles Times.“This is the firewall. If Boxer goes, you can almost be firm that the Democrats will lose the senate,” Jeffe said. “This is a seat that should never get this close.”Jeffe said the race between Brown and Whitman was trending more toward a Brown victory, but it’s too early to tell.“Where Brown has made the most dramatic increase in support is among Latinos,” she said. “The question is whether that support turns into action in the polls.”Brown leads Whitman with 49 percent support, according to the USC/LAT poll.The purpose of Obama’s visit, Jeffe said, is to raise support for the election among Democratic voters.“Republicans appear to be more enthusiastic. If that happens, the Democrats are going to lose significant races,” she said.Micah Scheindlin, political director for the USC College Democrats, said he believed targeting college students is a smart move to get votes.“The president and the White House know they come here and they are going to get thousands of college students,” Scheindlin said. “I think that everyone claims that is the issue — that Democrats need to energize their base, and nothing energizes them like a rally.”Rally attendees can enter the event at 10 a.m. Obama will speak at 1:30 p.m. in Alumni Park. Actor and singer Jamie Foxx will perform.last_img read more

READ MORE

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse has successfully managed to keep coronavirus infection rates low among its athletes, but nationwide rates and players’ health concerns leave the fall seasons in serious doubt.Two of the Power 5 conferences and many smaller leagues have already canceled their fall seasons. But the Atlantic Coast Conference, as well as Syracuse’s training camp practices that started Aug. 6, are continuing as scheduled.Here are three storylines that emerged during this most unusual offseason and training camp for SU football:The status of the 2020 football seasonAs of Thursday afternoon’s meeting with ACC Presidents, college football is continuing this fall as planned for the conference’s 15 members.The Big 10 and Pac-12 announced Tuesday that both leagues were postponing their fall seasons and hoping to play in the spring. Two days later, the NCAA announced that all fall sports championships would be canceled. The decision does not affect the Power 5 conferences or the College Football Playoff should the SEC, Big 12 and ACC play their seasons.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe ACC has pivoted from its traditional schedule of eight conference and four nonconference games, instead scheduling nearly all conference games, with the exception of one nonconference game.The conference also pushed the season’s start back a week. Instead of playing at Boston College on Sept. 4 to begin the year, the Orange will travel to North Carolina on Sept. 12.“I’m confident that we’ll start,” defensive back Andre Cisco said. “I’m confident that we’ll get some games in. Anything can happen from there. We have a strong enough protocol to at least start.”Gov. Andrew Cuomo has said there won’t be fans at New York sporting events this fall, and while SU has asked for clarification on that ruling, it appears that the Carrier Dome will be empty if the Orange open their home slate with Georgia Tech on Sept. 26.While both head coach Dino Babers and Director of Athletics John Wildhack were optimistic as recently as June about having both a season and fans in the Dome, Babers and the players have expressed cautious optimism of late.“Right now, we’re just taking it day by day,” senior Chris Elmore said. “We’re seeing everything that everyone else is seeing with a lot of different conferences opting out of the season and things like that. Until they cut us off, treat everything like it’s normal. Treat everything like we’re going to play that game.”Only one player, redshirt freshman defensive lineman Cooper Dawson, has opted out of the 2020 season. Babers said that multiple other players are still considering whether to opt-out as well.Katelyn Marcy | Digital Design DirectorHow Syracuse managed to return to football safelySyracuse athletes and athletic staff took about 400 COVID-19 tests between Aug. 2 and Aug. 11, all of which came back negative. Football players first returned to campus in the first week of June for summer workouts, although COVID-19 precautions made the summer much different than those before.The Orange were placed into pods of four people once players returned to campus and tested negative for the virus. Players have been tested every other week since, and the pods have slowly expanded in size until reaching entire offensive and defensive units.Babers has celebrated the Orange’s success on testing, yet his players continue to sit out practice. Multiple high-profile players at Syracuse are still considering opting-out due to concerns surrounding the virus’ long term health effects, The Athletic reported Friday.“I know I’m not allowed to tell you what the number is, but if they were basing a National Championship, Final Four off of COVID testing and who had the lowest number, I really believe we’d be in the Final Four,” Babers said.Yet after a supposedly successful summer workout program, SU players presented a list of concerns to Babers and chose to sit out the first two days of training camp practice because they wanted to be tested more frequently and to see improved testing standards across the conference. Although Syracuse returned to the field, they later sat out a third day on Wednesday.Looking at the potential 2020 seasonIf there is a 2020 football season this fall, Syracuse is dealing with plenty of turnover on both sides of the ball. The Orange are replacing both of their coordinators, transitioning into a new base defensive scheme and attempting to replace two of the program’s best defensive players from the last few seasons.After Babers fired defensive coordinator Brian Ward following a 58-27 loss to Boston College last season, he turned to former Arizona State defensive coordinator Tony White in February to take over and install a new 3-3-5 defense.In a typical year, the Orange would’ve used a full summer and normal training camp to install White’s defense. But this year, Babers is asking for extra time for him and his players to figure things out early in the season.“My expectations is this right here: Something’s going to happen on Sept. 12,” Babers said. “It could be really really good, it could be really, really bad on one or both sides of offense and defense. What I expect after the 12th is I expect them to get better.”Four of five offensive linemen that started the final three games of the season are returning. Despite improved play from that position group in those final three weeks, the Orange allowed more sacks per game (4.17) than all but two teams in FBS football in2019. Syracuse will be replacing No. 1 wide receiver Trishton Jackson and leading running back Moe Neal.New offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert is reuniting with Babers after he coached under him at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green. But the shortened offseason could impact new schemes and plays the Orange want to insert into an offense that failed to establish the run game and protect the quarterback in 2019.Although it may improve the chances of having a season, the Orange’s new schedule will prove more of a challenge than the previous one planned. Instead of eight ACC games and four nonconference games against Rutgers, Liberty, Colgate and Western Michigan, SU will play 10 ACC games and one nonconference. The Orange essentially replaced WMU, Colgate and Rutgers with road trips to Notre Dame and North Carolina, two teams who should be ranked in the AP Top 25.“When you really start playing football in September, you may start somebody Sept. 12 who might not be the starter Oct. 10,” Babers said.“But if everybody continues to get better and we’re still evaluating, somewhere after that four through six thing, we should start to settle in.” Comments Published on August 16, 2020 at 9:06 pm Contact Anthony: [email protected]last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgChelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has vowed that he will not quit the club after the defending champions’ FA Cup exit.Saturday’s penalty shoot-out defeat by Everton leaves the Champions League as the Blues’ only realistic hope of silverware this season.Asked if he would consider resigning ahead of facing FC Copenhagen on Tuesday, Ancelotti said: “No, not me.“I don’t have to consider my position. It is the owner [Roman Abramovich] that has to do that, not myself.”Chelsea’s last-16 European tie offers the Blues a chance to turn around another poor run of form which has seen them slip to fifth in the Premier League, 12 points behind leaders Manchester United.Following a 1-0 defeat to Wolves on 5 January the Blues won four out of five games, but they have failed to score a goal in normal time in the past three matches, despite the acquisition of £50m striker Fernando Torres. Ancelotti claimed John Obi Mikel and Michael Essien are not 100% fit and admitted only John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic are currently playing at the top of their game.The team’s stuttering displays mean that qualification for the Champions League next season is under threat.A similar situation two seasons ago led to the sacking of previous boss Luiz Felipe Scolari, but at that stage in February 2008 Chelsea were fourth in the league and still in the FA Cup and Europe.But Ancelotti, who won a league and FA Cup double in his first season in charge last season, said that resuming their European travails could give them the jolt they needed.“The Champions League is not easy, but it will bring a lot of motivation for every one of us,” he said. “We have to have the right pressure. We have to play against Copenhagen. We have 180 minutes to win this game.” “Chelsea won’t go out against Copenhagen,” he added. “I think we have the possibility to win against Copenhagen.”The defeat by Everton on Saturday came after Frank Lampard had scored in extra-time, only for Leighton Baines to equalise with a free-kick.Both Nicolas Anelka and Ashley Cole missed crucial penalties in the shootout with Everton captain Phil Neville scoring the decisive kick.On Sunday former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri resigned as Roma’s coach. The Italian was in charge of the Blues between 2000 and 2004 and said recently he would consider a return to the Premier League.Source: BBClast_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgThe Ghana Football Association President  says Sports Minister, Nii Lante Vanderpuye is to blame for the lack of concrete decision on bonsuses for the Black Stars in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.Kwasi Nyantakyi says management team has been denied involvement in bonus negotiations because of the Minister’s “Strange modern management style.”At a media briefing in Accra Tuesday, Mr Nyantakyi said the Sports Minister has disregarded the caretakers of the Black Stars because of his belief that they are siphoning state funds.”On the eve of the match with Uganda he had a meeting with players without management for well over three hours and at the end of the meeting the players did not have enough time to rest,” he said reprovingly.Mr Vanderpuye has had issues with members of the Black Stars management team over suspicion that they are not acting in the interest of Ghana.Relations between him and the FA President has been frosty since he was sworn-in as Minister by the outgoing President John Mahama. In August, 2016 Mr Nyantakyi had accused the Minister of engaging the media more than he did with the Football Association.”We do not have any problem with the Minister; he has chosen to engage us through the media [and] anytime we hear of any meeting between him and us, we hear it through the media,” he mockingly said.Mr Vanderpuye was also to state during a media interview in August that he has nothing against the FA and its leadership.He stated that “When the President swore me in as the Sports Minister, he told me to work to raise the image of football in Ghana high but people think I have problem with them.””I only want the right thing to be done,” he said. But the FA says the Minister has refused to do the right thing since he was put in charge of the Youth and Sports Ministry.Mr Nyantakyi said one of the FA conventions is that the management should be involved in decision making but the Minister’s style of leadership does not permit that.”He [had met the Black Stars] twice without our involvement. The first one was in Alisa Hotel and the second one in Tamale when we went to play Uganda,” he said, adding the three hour meeting could be partially blamed for the team’s poor performance.He, however, said a meeting has been scheduled between the team and the incoming government to finalise the arrangements regarding “financial issues and the bonus structure.”Mr Nyantakyi argued this is important for the players to know what they stand to gain or lose in the Gabon competition.last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgSix schools in School Districts 59 and 60 will be receiving $1.9 million in funding from the province and school districts for upgrades for cleaner air and efficient heating systems.The school district will fund a minimum of 50 per cent of each project with the Province providing the rest of the funding.Pat Pimm, the MLA for Peace River North made the announcement, Thursday. He says the projects will help improve heating within the schools and create a more welcoming learning environment.- Advertisement -The upgrades are also expected to reduce carbon emissions by 437 tonnes each year.In Fort St. John, Dr. Kearney Junior Secondary school will get a new gym, change room, and classroom furnaces. Both Bert Ambrose Elementary and Bert Bowes Junior Secondary schools will be receiving new boilers.The projects are being done by the province and school districts to help with air quality and increase energy efficiency.Advertisementlast_img read more

READ MORE