The results of the OUSU elections were announced last night, heralding victory for ‘Martha4OUSU’, the slate led by current St. John’s College third year Martha Mackenzie.Mackenzie, who is studying History and Politics, will take up the position of OUSU President next year. She received 1483 votes, while her opponent Tom Scott, a third year PPE student from New College, received 1246.Hannah Cusworth and Seb Baird, the other two students running for sabbatical positions on the ‘Martha4OUSU’ slate, were also both elected. Cusworth will be Vice President for Access and Academic Affairs in the academic year 2011-2012, and Baird wll be Vice President for Welfare and Equal Opportunities.The two other sabbatical positions were won by Yuan Yang, who will be the Vice President for Women, and Daniel Stone, who will be the Vice President for Charities and Community. Total turnout for the elections was 14 per cent of the student population of Oxford. This is two per cent less than last year.The ‘Martha4OUSU’ campaign slogan was “Listening, Leading, Delivering.” Among their proposed policies are to establish official minimum standards of academic provision accross colleges, and to set up a career development fund. The OUSU presidential and vice-presidential jobs are full-time , paid positions. This year the salary for all five is estimated at £19,946 including National Insurance contributions, or £17,519 without.Reactions to the results were mixed last night. Kat Shields, a second year student at St. Catherine’s College who worked as an agent for Martha Mackenzie’s slate said, “I’m so ecstatic about how we got on. We got all our slate elected.”However Nathan Jones, who ran to be NUS Delegate as part of Tom Scott’s slate, ‘Team TED’. said, “This was an exciting campaign, and it was a privilege for me to work with such a talented and committed group of individuals. “That their skills will not be used next year is a loss for our Student Union and for the students of Oxford. While we are naturally disappointed with the result, we congratulate Martha on a well-fought campaign. “A disappointingly low turnout is indicative of the size of the work ahead in making OUSU more relevant and we know Martha will work tirelessly in seeking to do so.”Mackenzie received considerable support from the Oxford University Labour Club (see box, left). Ben Lyons, a former OULC Co-Chair, said, “She will be a fantastic representative and a dedicated campaigner.“It was exciting to be challengedby such strong opponents. They had many good ideas and campaigned honestly.”
Great news, concertgoers! After Ticketmaster delivered customers tons of vouchers redeemable for two free tickets after losing a huge Class Action lawsuit, the list of eligible shows and venues were revealed yesterday. To the chagrin of many fans around the country, all of the shows were at Live Nation-owned amphitheatres, most of which are not located near major metropolitan areas.Well, fear not, as it seems Ticketmaster have been forced to add more shows and venues to their list, with additions popping up for several venues run by Live Nation’s House Of Blues subsidiary in New York City, Las Vegas, Orlando, Cincinnati, and more.Admittedly, the shows are a mixed bag, but with the vouchers remaining active until 2020, it seems there will be tons of opportunities for fans to use these vouchers. Here’s to hoping all of our favorite bands play Live Nation venues in the next four years, so all of our vouchers can go to good use, and we get retribution for our years of abuse-via-Ticketmaster!
By Dialogo February 08, 2012 On February 6, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos thanked Venezuela for the arrest of the paramilitary leaders alias “Martín Llanos” and alias “Caballo” [Horse]. Santos said that the arrests were very significant because these individuals “were the only paramilitary leaders who did not want to submit to the Judicial and Peace process.” The bulk of the paramilitary organization United Self-defense Units of Colombia, which committed thousands of crimes against the civilian population and are still under investigation, demobilized between 2003 and 2006 in a peace process promoted by former president Álvaro Uribe’s administration (2002-2010). As part of this process, they were granted procedural benefits in exchange for truthful information about their acts and reparation for their victims. “Martín Llanos (Héctor Buitrago Parada) played a leading role in one of the bloodiest wars of the Eastern Plains [neighboring Venezuela] and left hundreds, I would say thousands, of victims; he made pacts with the FARC to divide up the drug trade between them,” the president added. Santos stated that drug trafficking has spread in recent years “to several countries of the continent, from Venezuela to Bolivia.” He recalled that 11 arrest warrants were pending for “Martín Llanos,” on charges including aggravated homicide, forced disappearance, kidnapping for purposes of extortion, torture, narcotics trafficking, and terrorism. Together with “Martín Llanos,” his brother Nelson Orlando Buitrago Parada, alias “Caballo,” was also arrested. The Buitrago brothers were arrested in Venezuela on February 4, by agents of the National Anti-drug Office (ONA). Both were being sought through Interpol on “charges of homicide, kidnapping, illicit drug trafficking, and criminal conspiracy,” and will be turned over “immediately” to Colombian authorities, Venezuelan Interior Minister Tareck El Aissami explained to the press.
Revis—a graduate of Aliquippa High School—has an established relationship with Nerih, Inc., a nonprofit foundation with a mission of addressing and fulfilling the needs of the community. Nerih, Inc. has enlisted in Revis to help provide the youth of Aliquippa with top-notch athletic instruction, motivation and mentorship to better equip them with skills that stretch beyond the field with this upcoming event.The two-day Skills & Drills Clinic will bring professional athletes together to provide football training and fun for participating youth ages 6-18. The children will be taught game fundamentals and participate in drills, while enjoying personal coaching from Revis and other present and former NFL greats. Autograph signings, guest speakers/lectures and meet-and-greets will all be components of these action-filled days. Using the game of football as a medium, Nerih, Inc. seeks to impress upon youth the importance of discipline, teamwork and education.The final day will wrap up with a Celebrity Basketball Game, in which Darrelle Revis, along with fellow professional athletes, will lend their talents to a fundraising competition of “hoops” to entertain and provide charity back to the Greater Pittsburgh community. A halftime performance by Def Jam Recording artist Big K.R.I.T. will be one of many highlights.“With the level of success that Darrelle was able to reach, we are fortunate to be able to give back to the community where he was raised,” said Aileen Gilbert, grandmother of Darrelle Revis and Executive Director of Nerih, Inc. “We hope that Aliquippa’s youth leave this event motivated by the inspirational messages that our foundation tries to instill.”Both the Skills & Drills Clinic and Celebrity Basketball Game are open to the public.Admission to view the Skills & Drills Clinic is free, and entry to the Celebrity Basketball Game costs $7. All proceeds will benefit Nerih, Inc. For more information on this event, contact Lisa Simone at 202-320-9155 or Nicholas Williams at 954-288-0550. Nonprofit organization Nerih, Inc. is inviting students of the Aliquippa School District to a free Darrelle Revis Skills & Drills Clinic at Aliquippa High School June 21 and 22 from 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. along with a Celebrity Basketball Game June 23 at 6 p.m. Darrelle Revis(AP Photo/File)
It wasn’t that long ago — the 2013 Murdoch Division Semi Finals to be exact — when the Beaver Valley Nitehawks scored four times in the third period to erase a 3-0 deficit en route to a 4-3 victory over the Nelson Leafs.The Beaver Valley win eliminated Nelson from the Murdoch Division playoffs.For the record the Green and White did one better Friday night at the NDCC Arena.Nelson rallied from a 4-0 margin, scoring six times in the third period, to shock the Hawks 6-4 in Kootenay International Junior Hockey League Murdoch Division action.The win was the second in as many weeks for Nelson over Beaver Valley.In the period the Leafs outshot the Hawks 23-2. The KIJHL’s leading goal scorer Travis Wellman (17) netted a pair with singles going to Aaron Dunlap, Jamie Vlanich, Alec Wilkerson and Linden Horswill.Wilkerson finished the game with four points.The game looked all but over for the Leafs as Beaver Valley held period leads of 1-0 and 4-0.Sam Barker, Taylor Stafford and Dallas Calvin with a pair — the latter coming on the power play, scored for Beaver Valley.But in the third Beaver Valley ran into penalty trouble in the final 10 minutes of the game, allowing the Leaf power play to score four times.Beaver Valley netminder Grayson Sharpe took the loss in goal while Leafs Tyler Moffat, getting the four consecutive start in goal for Nelson, won his seventh game of the season.Nelson, improving to 9-0-1-1 on the season, increases its Murdoch Division lead to four points over Beaver Valley.The Leafs now travel to Grand Forks Saturday to face the Border Bruins in Murdoch Division action.BLUELINES: Practice has been rather tough on the Leafs of late. Both defenceman J.J. Beitel and forward Austin Lindsay suffered injuries during practice this week and were forced to miss games. . . . The news is also not good for Leaf netminder Adam Maida, who was diagnosed with a knee injury that could force the Nelson Minor Hockey product out of the lineup for at least six weeks. Braden Pompu served as back up for the Leafs. . . . It was bra night at the NDCC Arena as people tossed the undergarment onto the ice during the second intermission to raise money for breast cancer research.
Facebook Advertisement Advertisement Twitter Advertisement It’s a good thing Jamie Northan is used to flying by the seat of his pants because that’s what he’s been doing this past week.Last July, Northan and Andrew Phung created Kill Hard, an improv show that paid loving homage to the world of cheesy action flicks.It was an instant hit at both the Calgary and Edmonton fringe festivals so the duo revived it this past March and, once again, it played to sold out houses at the Loose Moose Theatre. Login/Register With: Northan and Phung decided to bring Kill Hard back to the Edmonton fringe this summer with a short preview run in Calgary July 29 and 30.This is where Northan’s run of good news versus bad news began. Jamie Northan and Andrew Phung in Kill Hard. BREANNA KENNEDY / Calgary Herald“During our run of Kill Hard at the Edmonton fringe, one of the producers of CBC’s planned television version of the hit Canadian play Kim’s Convenience caught Kill Hard.“He stayed after the show and told Andrew to get hold of him for an audition for the show.“The good news is that Andrew got cast in the series.“The bad news was that Andrew would not be available for the summer revival of Kill Hard,” says Northan.The good news is that Phung agreed with Northan that the only person who could possibly step into Phung’s shoes is Quinn Contini a young Calgary actor studying theatre in Edmonton who is a former improv student of Northan and Phung.“Quinn is younger, more fit and better looking so Andrew and I were excited that he’d be upping my game this time around and that’s what every improviser wants.”Northan always knew Phung’s heart was still with Kill Hard but CBC had a bit of a strangle hold on his time. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment
CALGARY – A private Calgary oilsands producer is selling a portion of future production to raise money to expand its northern Alberta project, a funding method gaining traction in a sector having difficulty attracting investors.Osum Oil Sands Corp. said Monday it has approved a 3,000-barrel-per-day expansion of its Orion project to take output to over 12,000 barrels per day by mid-2019.The company said it will pay for the expansion with part of about $92.5 million in cash it has raised by selling to an unnamed buyer a four per cent share or royalty in all future production from Orion.Similar royalty sales have been used recently by publicly traded Calgary-based oilsands producers BlackPearl Resources Inc. (TSX:PXX), Pengrowth Energy Corp. (TSX:PGF) and Athabasca Oil Corp. (TSX: ATH) to raise growth capital.“It’s a substitute for issuing equity which, at these (share) prices for many issuers, would be highly dilutive for their shareholder base, even when considering the recent bounce off of the bottom,” said AltaCorp Capital oilsands analyst Nick Lupick.“It is definitely being pitched to companies as an alternative source of financing other than debt and equity.”Osum CEO Steve Spence says the royalty sale will allow the company to accelerate its staged expansion. Eventually, it aims to reach its regulator-approved capacity of 20,000 barrels per day despite current low oil prices, hovering around $50 a barrel.“We looked at all the options and, in the current business environment, this was the best one available to us,” he said.“It’s a way of getting some funds to enable us to accelerate our growth strategy … in a relatively low oil price environment.”The company has been financed so far through private equity, sovereign wealth and pension funds, as well as private individuals, Spence said.It used term debt to buy Orion, which uses steam to produce bitumen from wells, in 2014 from Royal Dutch Shell for $325 million, he added.Earlier this year, as part of an exodus of foreign companies seeking better returns elsewhere, Shell sold most of its oilsands mining assets to Calgary-based Canadian Natural Resources (TSX:CNQ).Other foreign companies that have reduced or divested oilsands assets include Norway’s Statoil and Houston-based ConocoPhillips and Marathon Oil.Follow @HealingSlowly on Twitter.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – As a result of responses on social media, Fort St John RCMP says the owner of the suspect trucking company called in and provided all required information to police.RCMP would like to thank all who either discussed this incident on social media or called the Police to provide leads.The Fort John RCMP are reaching out to the public to assist in identifying a transport truck that allegedly forced a local driver off the road on January 11, 2019, near the Big Bam turnoff near Taylor B.C. According to Police, the photo appears to depict a white semi-tractor with a wind deflector on top of the cab. The Sea Freight Container behind it is bright green with a white picture or logo on it and possibly white lettering. The container had a round emblem in the centre on the back of it.Anyone with information is asked to call the Fort St John RCMP at 250-787-8100.
Kolkata: Three youths were killed in a road accident when they were riding on a motorcycle. The incident took place at Tumbani village near Rampurhat in Birbhum on Tuesday morning. The incident caused traffic disruption on Dumka-Rampurhat Road for nearly an hour. The victims have been identified as Bablu Soren (34), Baidyanath Kisku (22) and Chunde Soren (23). Police said that Bablu was riding the motorcycle with the two others as pillion, on their way to Rampurhat from Hariharpur village in Birbhum. When they were crossing Kharbana area, a speeding dumper hit them. The dumper was on its way to Jharkhand when the accident occurred. The driver of the vehicle fled the spot immediately after the accident, leaving the dumper at the site. All the three victims were rushed to a nearby hospital, where they were declared brought dead. The local residents staged a sit-in demonstration at the spot, protesting against overspeeding of the trucks in the area. According to the police, the victims had received injuries in various parts of their bodies. The exact cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained by the police. According to the preliminary investigation, police came to know that the dumper was moving at a high speed, as a result of which the driver could not control the vehicle. Senior police officers reached the spot after the accident and lifted the demonstration. Initially, the local residents engaged in an altercation with the police officers but later agreed to lift the agitation.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Collegium has recommended names of five judges for appointment as Chief Justices in Rajasthan, Kerala, Meghalaya, Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh High Courts.The five names are — Delhi High Court Judge Justice S Ravindra Bhat, Kerala High Court Judge Justice P R Ramachandra Menon, Punjab and Haryana High Court Judge Justice A K Mittal, Allahabad High Court Judge Justice Vikram Nath and Bombay High Court Judge Justice A S Oka. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The Collegium recommended the appointment of Justice Bhat after noting that the office of the Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court has fallen vacant after the recent transfer of Justice Pradeep Nandrajog to Bombay High Court. “Therefore, appointment to that office is required to be made. Justice S Ravindra Bhat is the senior-most Judge from Delhi High Court and is functioning in that High Court since his elevation. Having regard to all relevant factors, the Collegium finds Justice S Ravindra Bhat suitable in all respects for being appointed as Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court. The Collegium resolves to recommend accordingly. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K”While making the above recommendation, the Collegium is conscious of the fact that consequent upon the proposed appointment, there will be three Chief Justices from Delhi High Court, which has the special distinction of being the High Court for the national capital,” the Collegium said. It also recommended appointment of Justice Menon noting that the office of the Chief Justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court has fallen vacant recently after resignation of Justice A K Tripathi, Chief Justice of the High Court. The Collegium said it finds Justice Menon suitable in all respects for being appointed as Chief Justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court and “consequent upon the proposed appointment, there will be two Chief Justices from Kerala High Court”. On Justice Mittal, it noted that office of the Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court would be falling vacant shortly after retirement of Justice M Y Mir, Chief Justice of that High Court. “Having regard to all relevant factors, the Collegium finds Justice A K Mittal suitable in all respects for being appointed as Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court,” it said. Following the proposed appointment there will be “two Chief Justices from the Punjab & Haryana High Court, which serves two States and is the third largest High Court in the country, with sanctioned strength of 85 Judges”, the Collegium said. On Justice Nath, it said that office of the Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court which has recently been constituted as separate High Court for the State of Andhra Pradesh, has been lying vacant right from the day of its inception.